Home > Junk, Spam, Scam, Phishing > SCAM SMS – From (202) 735-6532: …claim your free Apple Product

SCAM SMS – From (202) 735-6532: …claim your free Apple Product

Today I got this text message:

Congratulations, your number has made you Apple’s Winner! Go to http://www.apple.ca.wstw.cc and enter code: 65535 to claim your Free Apple Product!

Screenshot:

I at first saw only apple.ca when I received the text message, because I was very busy when I got it and I really thought I won something. Maybe an iTunes credit or something like that. The reason I thought this might be something real was because I recently went to an Apple store, to get a new Battery for my old MacBook. But when I had time to actually look at the text message I was very disappointed, because this was of course not the real apple url, it was some fake url which will get forwarded to some SCAM website.

To be able to show you the site you can expect I entered the url from the text message and here is a screenshot of the site:

As you can see yourself in the address field the http://www.apple.ca.wstw.cc gets forwarded to http://wstw.cc where you can find a picture of an iPad and a box to fill in the mystic code.

I opened the address again, but this time with a secure browser window. I entered the code which I received via the text message and got this pop up message…

Screenshot:

So I deleted the last number to make it a 4 digit code and got forwarded to this domain (Screenshot):

After I came to this site I went back to the fake apple address and tried another random 4 digit code and landed again on the same site.

Unfortunately I don’t know if this is just a coincidence. It is possible that the owner of the fake apple site maybe signed up for some sort of affiliate program and get paid per visitor they refer to ziinga.

It is also not surprising that searching for the phone number brought up some additional information about this scam as well as WoT ranked the fake apple site very bad. My advise is to ignore this text message. There is on their website a “Unsubscribe” link, but unfortunately I assume this is more to confirm that your phone number / Email is in use and after trying to unsubscribe I am afraid you might get even more scam messages.

I hope this post will help lots of you not to fall for this scam.

Leave a comment and surf safe :)

1. Val
    August 6, 2012 at 10:15 pm | #1

My code is in fact a 4 digit number. One assumes it is still a scam though huh?

2. Char
    August 6, 2012 at 10:15 pm | #3

I just received one text message like that too. I assumed that it is a scam coz it came from a 10 digit number. Since I have unlimited international text messages I replied back sarcastically. Lol

• August 7, 2012 at 2:06 pm | #4

I hope they are not sending you even more garbage since they know now that your number is actually in service.

3. Liam
    August 6, 2012 at 10:24 pm | #5

Thanks bud!! Just got this text on my galaxy, the wstw made me really suspicious so I typed the address into google on my (go figure) iPad and was able to find your thread.

4. Dizzygurl
    August 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm | #7

I just received this text as well from (202)714-6495. I quickly sent a text back saying “stop” as I wasn’t sure if it was one of those stupid game apps, or what. But figured it was a scam, seeings I don’t use my cell phone/texts for games or to be contacted for prizes. Just wanted to post the phone number I got for this same situation. Thank you for your post.

• August 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm | #8

Thank you for the additional information and I hope the text you have sent back will not lead into more text messages from them. A friend of mine had that, he answered to one of those text messages with the result that the scammer knew that his number was in service and was sending even more crap. Unfortunately some companies don’t even care about “Do not call me” lists or bad reputation via the BBB.

5. Marisa
    August 7, 2012 at 8:09 am | #9

Thank you for posting this. I just received the same text message.

6. jackie
    August 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm | #11

Thank you for this!!!

7. August 7, 2012 at 12:58 pm | #13

Thanks for posting this. I just received the same text and and although usually I just delete those things, I’m glad someone took the time to look into it.

8. IRENE WILKINSON
    August 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm | #15

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS INFO……I AM A SUCKER FOR EVERYTHING

9. August 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm | #17

Just got the text myself and figued it was bull crap.Should be a law to stop these A-Holes

• August 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm | #18

Fortunately there are “Don’t call me” lists and the BBB (Better Business Bureau) if a company is not playing by the rules and located in North America. The problem is if the scammer is located in another country where the laws are a bit more, let say “casual”.

10. j dela cuadra
    August 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm | #19

thanks much for this relevant info. just received same text msg today. am really wondering why i have to win something when i havent joined any contests or promos in the first place. and it really looks quite suspicious!!!

11. August 8, 2012 at 9:42 am | #21

just received a call from 2027017162.
    whoever is using a different number

12. Susan
    August 8, 2012 at 11:25 am | #23

Thanks for sharing your information…I like you thought hey I won something “great” and was disappointed when I read the website to go to. However the number that it was sent from was different from yours….917-704-8310.

13. silver
    August 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm | #25

Same thing here, i’ve got same text 1 202 549 2389 to claim apple ipad but i don’t believe it when i’ve read your ads…thanks

• August 8, 2012 at 2:38 pm | #26

You are welcome and thank you for the comment and the additional phone number :)

14. Larry
    August 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm | #27

Has anyone thought of reporting this scam to Apple Co. itself?

• August 9, 2012 at 6:58 am | #28

This is a good idea, did you sent a message to Apple regarding that matter? If you want to do so, you are welcome to include a link to my Blog. Since we have here already so many people commenting on this subject, they might be interested to see how many received this or a similar message.
      Thanks for your comment :)

15. Denise Lippé
    August 9, 2012 at 8:42 am | #29

Merci pour l’information. Je viens de recevoir le même message avec le numéro de tel: 1-917-705-2701.

• August 9, 2012 at 8:51 am | #30

Vous êtes les bienvenus. Merci pour vos commentaire et les informations complémentaires.

16. Replier
    August 9, 2012 at 9:20 am | #31

Thanks for showing what happens when you go through all the steps. I knew it was a scam but I was really curious as to what happens if you did put the code. Good work!!!!!!!!!

17. G. Kempe
    August 9, 2012 at 11:29 am | #33

Got the same message you did, with the code 0163. I guess this means I don’t win a free gold-plated iPad? :)

• August 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm | #34

I am afraid not ;)
      Thanks for the comment :D

• G. Kempe
        August 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm | #35

Oh well, there’s always the lottery. :)
        Cheers!

• August 10, 2012 at 7:39 am | #36

I’ll cross my fingers that this will work out better for you ;)

18. chanel
    August 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm | #37

thank you for posting this. This is not the first time i received this text, just the first time i responded to it. Had it not been for your posting, i never would have known this was a scam and it may have ended up costing me. There aught to be a law against this kind of bullshit

• August 10, 2012 at 7:41 am | #38

I am glad to hear that my post was useful for you. Thanks for the comment :)

19. KelleeO’D
    August 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm | #39

Just got this message on my phone! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this info out. I suspected it was a scam, being that I haven’t been anywhere near an apple store in 6 months! Good info and thank you again!

20. sleepart
    August 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm | #41

Thanks for the post. I came here first and glad I did!

21. Alice
    August 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm | #43

I was eager to come home from class to see what I won. I thought since it was from Telus, so I thought.I r…as I recently purchased my new iphone, I thought my phone number was entered into a contest. I thought that I had actually won something. Obviously wishful thinking….But thanks to people like you, I got on to this page and see that I was not the only one fooled by the scam. The number on my phone is 202-701-6265.
    I am a firm believer in karma and I know yours will come to you, if it hasn`t already :) Thank you R.Simon Kaebe. Moral to this…..I should probably do less thinking and more deleting. lol!…I know, too trusting. So I’ve been told. Alice Sellers

• August 10, 2012 at 7:50 am | #44

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am glad my post helped so many people. Those who wrote a comment are only a few who actually saw this post. Since I published this scam I had more than 5,000 visitors to my Blog in just 3 days :D
      Thank you again for your comment and I am glad my post was so helpful.
      Cheers :)

22. Marie-Claude banville
    August 10, 2012 at 7:20 am | #45

0163

23. Dorota Narog
    August 14, 2012 at 8:08 pm | #47

moi aussi just vien de resevoir un mesage code 0572 avec les nr. 19178253407 on fat qoi mnt svp

24. August 29, 2012 at 10:19 am | #48

I received another text message yesterday and this time it came from this number:
    (502) 409-2245

25. October 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm | #49

Hello, I was curious and made the mistake and went to this side with my IPhone (on which I got the message) but I didn’t enter the 4-digit code luckily. But that I got to the site alone can that do anything to harm my phone or whatever? Or am I lucky by not entering the code?

So can it do only harm if I had made the mistake of entering the code?
    Thanks for your site and hopefully your answer.

• October 12, 2012 at 8:36 am | #50

Based on the details I have, I think the website is/was more designed to get your contact details, not to harm your device. But if you fear that your iPhone got compromised, I would strongly suggest to go to an Apple store and to talk to a Genius.

26. samantha
    November 19, 2012 at 4:35 am | #51

I only put the 4 codes then I closed the page immediately, Do I have to worry?

• November 19, 2012 at 9:31 am | #52

No I don’t think so. But if you feel unsafe it doesn’t hurt to do a virus scan on your computer.

1. No trackbacks yet.